10/22/08

{a birthday shoutout and a moral dilema}

Happy 21st to Gabrielle and Ashleigh!!
and now that theyre of age, let the party begin!


*the girls and i playing dress up on two very different occasions*
Love you girls, hope your day was SUPER-DUPER!
***
and now for my moral delima...
so im not really very smart, even though sometimes i like to pretend like i am.
but recently i have come to terms with the fact that i will never be good at any sort of math or science. i have been kidding myself for the last, what? like 20 years, about this fact. and now i proudly stand here and say "Lauren is a failure in these two subjects"
i was going to be a high school math teacher. that didnt work out.
i was going to be a dentist. you know the science grades you have to have?
i even took a deep plunge into thinking i could minor in chemistry. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
no, but seriously. now that science and/or math is out of the question what do i do with my life? my transcript currently screams NUTRITION MAJOR which im ok with. but what kind of crappy classes do you have to take for that? you guessed it, my all time favorite chemsitry.
(chemistry sucks)
and that is where my problem lies.
you see, i am currently enrolled in Gen Chem 1210 (the first of a two part series) and not doing so hot. in fact theres a slim to nothing chance im going to pass. which sucks because if you know Lauren you know she doesnt fail. on the last test we took, i walked away from it thinking i had done fairly well. infact i was pretty sure i had passed. oh boy, that red 51 written on top of the scantron told me something quite different. thats right. 51. i cried. its not like im not trying.
and then i found out the class average was 60. 60 boys and girls, 60. with 13 out of 50 of my peers passing. is that not a reflection of the teacher? you would think so. i tried to be big and bold and call him out on it in class but all i got was a blank stare because the man doesnt speak english. and then comes the email encouraging nearly everyone in the class to withdraw or audit the class. what kind of teacher does that? seriously.
so my problem is do i keep going in the class, fail and only get 9 credits?
or do i withdraw or audit and not have a big F on my transcript... with only 9 credits?
and what should i change my major to? business? hotel resort hospitality management? photo journalism? ceramics with an emphasis in pottery?







2 comments:

{lauren} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T said...

Dearest Lauren, I believe in you. Never give up, never surrender! I am experiencing the same discouragement with my Spanish minor. I have taken so many Spanish classes and yet I still have a hard time putting two sentences together at a time. How am I going to survive in Spain?!?! One thing I keep on telling myself is that I will give it all I got, making those small sacrifices along the way (for example, studying on weekends when I want to be out with friends), and then will I know that I've done my best. I wish I could give your chem teacher a piece of my mind, obviously something is wrong with his teaching if you look at those statistics!