3/5/10

Miracle March

Well, it is Miracle March here in the Florida Jacksonville Mission. our goal is 200 baptisms and 200 reactivations in the mission this month. Our little motto for the mission has always been Expect a Miracle, so we best be seeing some miracles this month. As all good missionaries do the whole mission is making some sacrifices for the month (we already sacrificed music in trade for some baptisms last month...) on the chopping board are: eating out, lunch/dinner breaks, and emailing friends. we can do that for sure, if it means miracles that lead to baptisms I'm down with it.

Sister P is doing so good. And no, she is NOT like Kirby in the best two years. She is in fact the exact opposite. She is a little version of Angelina Jolie. She wears high heels when we tract but says they don't hurt her feet at all ( I think she is taking a miracle drug cause flat shoes hurt everyone else most days). She is so sweet. I really love her. We are getting along quite well. I try to serve her everyday, it helps on the love thing. She has gotten super bold and kind of sassy. I like to think that she gets that from me ;). She is a little frustrated with the work as it has kind of started off slow and there isn't much immediate success that we can see, plus when you are brand new you think everyone you talk to is going to get baptized. I'm trying hard not to burst that little bubble she's got going right now, I also kind of wish that everyone we talk to would get baptized, but alas it is not so.

For the record: I have an internal GPS. Last night we were out in this little country neighborhood called Browntown. We decided that we would look for an inactive member that we couldn't find so i whipped out the map and looking up the street only to find that it was waaaay off the map. I put the map down and just started to drive. After a couple random turns we called the elders to see if they could look up the road on their GPS, right as they picked up the phone the street popped out of nowhere! But then we couldn't find the house number. We decided that God had sent us there for a reason so we were just going to tract. We were clear at the end of the street and Sister P said that she thought we should start at the beginning of the street so we went back up and started our little journey. We knocked on a door but no one was home so we went to the next house where there was a man in the backyard we were teaching/talking to him and I asked if he knew this lady we were looking for. he says "you mean my wife?" oh goodness, it was music to my ears! So she came out and talked to/vented at us about how people in the ward weren't nice and she didn't think that that is how people at church would act. We assured her that people weren't like that anymore and that the Lord needed her at church. Hopefully we will see her there next week. it was a bit of a miracle that we found her. with my internal GPS and Sister P's inspiring spirit we found her. What a team we are!

We got invited to a Mexican birthday party for a investigators husband. It was crazy, yet quite fun. Everyone was drinking and they were teasing us trying to get us to try some of their "grape juice" we pretty much taught them the word of wisdom right there, but they just kept teasing offering us beer and stuff. They did have really tasty food and fun music (that we absolutely were NOT listening to) and dancing. We had to skip out early to go to a baptism that the elders had.

They baptized this couple a few weeks ago and they have a little boy who was supposed to get baptized then too but he got too scared because there were too many people there so they just had a little baptism for him this Saturday. The spirit was way strong, the dad even got to baptize him which was WAY cool. I was talking to the mom about it and she said how incredible it was that 2 months ago she didn't even know what the priesthood was but now it is in her home. so sweet.

I will bid you adieu ( I learned that word from the Book of Mormon). Remember who you are and what you stand for and don't forget to read and pray.

1 comment:

Rachel Doyle said...

Sister J -- what an amazing missionary you are! Life is going on here. Kaleb is in the hospital with RSV and Hannah is sick with an ear infection. Brynna however, is quite healthy and using that to her advantage to cause all sorts of mayhem. Her newest thing is to climb into my pantry and pull out cake mixes and eat them. She tells us that she loves cake and needs it. Ha ha -- Anyhow I can't believe you comp is wearing heals -- I wore tennis shoes because of my flat feet - I can't even imagine the heals. Anyhow I love reading your letters - it reminds me of my own mission and brings back those feelings of wanting to share the gospel. In fact I am going to have another St. Patrick's Day BBQ on the front lawn in a few weeks and invite the neighbors who aren't members and those who are. Oh did I tell you we aren't moving now- its a long story but needless to say we'll be here when you get back. Anyhow I guess I should go sleep since Kaleb is now sleeping and the nursing staff comes in about 3x a night to check on him. We love you and you are in our prayers. Rachel and Family