12/10/08

{conspiracy}

its finals week.
and with the joy of test after test comes the ever dreaded...


seriously. its a joke.
at the begining of this semester i spent well over $400 on books.
would you like a breakdown? let me go find my reciept...
Chemistry - $237.45
Chemistry lab book - $6.69
ChemSkill Builder - $23
Athletic Injury Management - $72.40
Community Nutrition - $108.70
Grand Total: $448.24
(bless whoever came up with tax free textbooks)
i packed up my belongings today and went to the bookstore to sell my books back
im using the same chemistry book next semester so i didnt take that one
i turned in half the chem lab book so i couldnt sell that one back
chemskill builder is an online program so there was no getting money for that one
what i did take was Athletic Injury Management and Community Nutrition
keep in mind that is $181.10 worth of textbooks.
the nice man scanned my very abused Athletic Injury Management book and proclaimed "$37.25!" not bad, not bad. and then he scanned my still in prestine condition only opened once bought brand new Community Nutrition book, looked me right in the eye and said "$15".

seriously? $15 for a book i bought for $108.70.
i had an internal battle for a short minute about whether to stick it to the man and keep my dang book or take the $15 and walk away in shame. i had big plans to keep that book. no one was getting my book for $15. i even walked away from the window, head held high. and then a little thought popped into my head stating the fact over and over again that if i opened it only a handful of times when i actually had the class, what was i going to do with it when i didnt? use it was a coffee table book? let me short roommate sit on it at the dinner table? do step aerobics with it? well, i dont have a coffee table, my roommate isnt that short, and do i look like i do step aerobics? the despretly needing money side of me won the battle. i walked back to the window and demanded my $15 in exchange for my heavily over priced textbook.
i slowly walked away with my $52.25 defeated once again by the conspiracy that is textbook buy back. its a conspiracy i tell ya, a conspiracy. when i find who's behind it you can bet your first born son there is going to be some major problems. as in fist throwning, hair pulling, name calling problems.

i heard one time that the average text book has a life span of like 20 months. seriously? 2o months? what can change that fast? the end of chapter review problems? for real, the way you treat torticollis is not going to change every 20 months making it necessary for a new book to be published. they do it on purpose, i know it.

conclusion: buying, selling, trading, reading textbooks is like getting gouged in the eye over and over and over again.

7 comments:

Megan Marie said...

I feel your pain sister. I do. They are all just a bunch of ratbast****. I know it.

FamiLee said...

So true! It is sickening the $$. Maybe you should graduate and write text books, make your million in 20 months!

I have heard that you can buy text books on Amazon for cheaper...or sell them there...of coarse I have never tried either. Enjoy your $52.25 and no more eye gouging!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya, I hear ya...

Hey Jude! said...

That is so lame. Did the guy throw the money at you? He threw it at me and a couple of bills fell on the ground. Then he yelled "Merry Christmas" to me as I bent over to pick it up.
Gee, I sure love that place...

Anonymous said...

what LAMESAUCE is this???? that just chaps my hide. ew, it really is a consipiracy, init?

Anonymous said...

oh, and by the way, i just discovered your blog, and will totally be following it now

Sydni Jade said...

Oh, how I detest textbook buybacks! They are the bane of all existance! I feel your pain!

By the way, I will also be a new follower of yours, since I just found your blog, as well. :)