12/21/09

Miracle to the 5th Power


We went to Okefenokee this morning with a member. Oh my Disappointing. Not one stinking Alligator in sight. But that's beside the point. Guess what this week was? THE week of Miracles. Oh my goodness. And to top it off the mission finally got 1050! The goal they set for this year was to baptize and confirm 1050 people. And we did it! They didn't think that we were actually going to do it but as of yesterday it was complete! What a miracle.

As for now I would like to share with you what i like to call "Miracle to the fifth power".
Last week i told you about that family that we were working with, right? We have been working so hard with them to get them baptized but it seemed like everything we did, Satan did something harder. It was getting kind of ridiculous. We went over to see them on Tuesday and we had decided not to even bring up baptism, to just let them come on their own. As i was sitting there i just kept thinking over and over how i needed to challenge them to be baptized on Saturday. so i did. they said they would think about it. We went back all week trying to get them to commit to something but they were still thinking and praying about it all week long. The ward was going to the temple on Saturday morning and Sister C had some converts going so we were going to go. I wanted to go soooo bad, it was all I had been thinking about all week. I knew that if I could make it to the end of the week and the temple that everything would be OK. But while we were praying on Friday night to start our planning session I got this strong feeling not to go to the temple. To say the least I was a little peeved. The next morning we got up and didn't go to the temple but instead went to see this family. And we went back two more times after that.and found out that they were too busy and would see us in church tomorrow. So we went up to the church to a miracle baptism. When the elders finally asked him (on Friday night) if he wanted to be baptized he said he had just been waiting for them to ask. After the baptism Elder H let it be known that they got the whole zone to pray for our family and that he wanted to meet this lady. Sister C and I were a little hesitant about it and said that we didn't want to go over for the fourth time that day. Elder H would not give up so he took Elder O over to see them. We went with the other elders to see some of our Spanish gators. While we were talking to one of them our phone rang and it was Elder H. He asked us what we were doing and then like music to my ears said "Well, we're having a baptism for five at 7:30 tonight if you are interested in coming!" We went to the church, filled the font back up and precisely at 7:00 my family that we have been working with FOREVER and that the whole mission has been praying for walked in. And they were baptized. And it was wonderful. 5. 5 baptisms. oh what joy has filled my heart! It was wonderful. A serious miracle.

God is good. The spirit does amazing things. you know when Peter is walking on water but then he realizes what he is doing and starts to sink? I have been feeling like that. The first 2 transfers were wonderful and I knew I could do it. but then I realized what I was in the business of soul saving for realsies and I started to sink. I was kicking hard trying to keep my head about water and then it's like the Lord stepped in and said "oh ye of little faith" and showed me how it's done. I'm thankful that he always will lift us up, because we can't do this alone.

OK, so the rest of the week was pretty sweet too. On Thursday we went down to Jax to Orange Park to a mission wide conference. It was so fun to see all my friends all at once. And we were definitely spiritually fed. Sister W is going home in 2 weeks. I don't know what I'm going to do without being able to call her. She is like my little mama in the mission. I love her so much. I am glad I had a good first companion experience.

At the devotional one of the elders told this really cool experience that he had. The whole mission has been looking high and low and SO hard for people to teach and baptize. This elder had an idea just to run from house to house (That is a very common practice in the FJM, i even do it sometimes) and ask if they have been to the church. He was running down the street not having any luck at all when this suburban pulled up and the lady driving asked "what are you running from?" He said that he wasn't running from anything and then asked if she had ever been to the church. She said "no, but when can i come?" Holy miracle. They have been teaching her and she is going to get baptized soon. So sweet! President Newman then said "Do you have the faith to run when running makes no sense?" Oh my goodness, hit me like a ton of bricks. We need to always, no matter what, even when we're not missionaries, act on the spiritual promptings that we receive. something good is always going to come when we do. Are you "running" even when it makes no sense? After my family got baptized I thought of that and how it made NO sense NOT to go to the temple. But we listened and 5 of our brothers and sisters were brought back to the fold. For sure the biggest spiritual lesson I have learned in a while.

I love the work. I love being a missionary.

Oh yeah, someone told us that world war three has started, Jesus is mad, and the world is going to end tomorrow. As in the 22nd. If that's the case I won't get to talk to you on Christmas, but I will see you in heaven. I LOVE YOU!

No comments: