9/14/10

Sewing Skirts?

Sister H’s has been out one transfer less than me. She is a real champ. She has had really loooong areas so this is only her 3rd area. I guess this is only my fourth, but it feels like I got moved around a lot. Maybe because for the first six months I did.... and then they sent me here. I am thinking that my picture might have fallen off the transfer board and every time they do transfers they forget I’m here. Ha-ha. Probably not. I guess I would be sad if I got transferred as I have been here for so long and it kind of feels like home. Everyone in the hood knows me. They all know why I am there and what I am going to tell them. Actually all they remember is that they need to stop smoking weed and having sex. And they don't really like that. They even recognize the car and when they see it pull up they scatter. Ha-ha. It’s kind of funny. Such power I have :)
On Saturday Sister H and I spent the whole day doing service for ward members. We made beds, washed dishes, vacuumed, dusted, swept, and even sprayed weed with some hard core chemicals! We may have accidently killed some grass and some okra plants... not that the world would miss any lost okra. It was a good day. We were able to talk to some members in a less threatening way. They couldn't figure out what we were doing in our work clothes at their house, but it was good. We slyly talked gospel with some that don't like us doing so with them. It worked out good.
Speaking of Okra, we are teaching this less active lady who hasn't been to church in like 30 years. She wants to be where the Lord wants her to be, she just doesn't know where that is. We showed up and she thought it was pretty awesome so she let us in to teach her and help her to remember what she had forgotten. It is going really well. I think once we get her to church her family will come along as well. She was telling us how her daughter usually follows her to churches and that if she comes the daughter will too. It is going to be so cool when they all come. I can't wait. Having a family baptized after so many years would be cool. But the point of the Okra is that she gave us some. I have tried okra fried, which is good, and stewed, which is not. This lady gave us some Okra she had pickled. It was pretty tasty. Still a little slimy but it was alright.
On Wednesday cannery because a non member lady was supposed to come and the old missionaries that are called there aren't supposed to teach I guess so they called us to come do the dirty work. She didn't show up so we went to the bishops store house part and filled some of the orders. We worked with some members that had come to do service there (each ward from the faraway places are assigned a week to come up. I think these people came from Crescent City, which I think is to the west). The guy that I worked with was kind of old and couldn't really hear and I didn't want to scream at him so it took a little work. I think the Lord is helping me work on my patience. I have had lots of opportunities for that in the last little while. I suppose it is something that would be good to work on.
Last Sunday we met this way cool kid named T. We set a bap date with him and return appointment for a couple days later. We went back to see him and were greeted by a very old man. I asked if Tony was around and he said that tony didn't live there. He said that maybe T had lived there before but not anymore. I kind of looked at him funny and described the kid to him. Back in the yard a little ways were two younger black guys and on old white guy and a white kid. He said that maybe we meant his son B. Then the old white dude walks over and says "how is Provo?" and I kind of just stared at him. He says again "when was the last time you were there?" and I said about a year ago and he said "my mom and sisters lives there, I used to live there" and I said "oh yeah? I’m from Provo, what part does your mom live at?" and he said some coordinates that were close to our house so I say "what is your moms name?" and you know what the crazy white dude said? I will tell you. He says "M Z". And I say "Shut up". And he says "ok". And I say "For realsies?" and he looks at me like I’m crazy and says "yeah..." So the moral of the story is I met the son of sister Z.
But the story continues. As I am talking to this guy T walks ups and is introduced to us as B. His name is B. No one knows why he told us T. We go inside to teach him and his little brother, L follows. We were teaching them the restoration when Lorenzo says "I need to ask ya'll something" so we say ok and he proceeds to say "Where do you go after you die? I KNOW that you don't go straight to heaven or hell, there has to be a place where we all go right after we die" it was like music to my ears! We explained a little bit about it and he just kept asking more way awesome questions like that. He is such a cool kid. B is less cool, not willing to keep some vital commandments, but L is sweet. We have taught him a couple of times and he is always so open to what we are saying and wants to know if it is true. He is a cool kid. I can totally see him going on a mission; I am bummed that I won't be here for his baptism...
But anyway, I did make matching skirts just for the four sisters in the Whitehouse ward. We found a set of sheets in a closet one p day so I whipped up some skirts, easy as pie. We were going to wear them to zone conf once but we thought better of it. That is actually why I mad them, but when the morning of zone conf came we chickened out. So we wore them to church instead.
I have been reading the war chapters in the Book of Mormon this week. They are making me mad. Why are people so stupid? They all just need to get together, have some cake and make up. All would be well then and people wouldn't have to die. Every time I read it I hope that the end changes... but alas. The best part is probably the description of how the guys head is cut off and then he gasps his final breath. Dude, if your head is cut off and you breathe that means you have to breathe out a hole in your neck. Think about it. Sick. That is how I get little boys and some old boys to read the Book. But really, it's sick.
And it is true. And that is what's most important.

No comments: