Woah. Did you see that? No? Look again. It is pretty awesome.
Some cool cats and the university in which I am obtaining my higher education put together a rockin' CD to benefit Camp Kesem.
Oh, you don't know what Camp Kesem is? Stay tuned because you're gonna find out. Real soon. Real real soon. And you want to know where you can get this sweeeet sounding benefit album to support charity and the little kiddos thrown into seriously adult situations? I'll tell you right now. You have iTunes? Good. Go there. Search in iTunes Store 'Sweet Sounds'. You see that album with the same artwork as above? That's the one you want. It's great and you'll love it and you'll feel good doing it. All proceeds from the album go directly to sending 40 kids from the community to a weeklong summer camp. How awesome is that?
So awesome. Infact, I'll even drop the ten bucks for it. And that's saying something 'cause I'm not one to buy music off the interwebs. Just sayin'.
So, back to Camp Kesem.
Camp Kesem is a national non-profit organization that provides week long summer camps for kids who have a parent (or parents) who is a cancer survivor, currently undergoing cancer treatments, or has passed away from cancer. Often times the kiddos are left as the silent victims when a parent or caregiver is diagnosed with cancer. It is estimated that of the 12 million cancer survivors in the US, 1.5 million of them are parenting 3 million minor children. Holy Moly. Thats a lot of kids. And that doesn't even include the 18% of cancer patients in the early stages of diagnoses and treatment that have minor children. Or those who have passed away and left little ones behind. When the kids are put in this very grown up situation they are forced to grow up and often don't get the childhood they deserve. Camp Kesem offers them an opportunity to come and just be kids, even if it's just for a week. It also gives them a chance to make lifelong relationships with those in their same situation.
How great is that?
But there is a second part to Camp Kesem. It is all college student run. The whole show. College kids. It gives college students the opportunity to develop leadership skills to making a lasting social impact on their community. Honestly, being co-chair of Camp Kesem on my campus has maybe been one of the hardest, most time consuming, sleep depriving experiences of my life (and when I say in my life I don't include that time when I was serving the Lord, that's a whole other ball game). I want to scream some days and shake people until they can't see straight and then roll into the fetal position in the corner and cry. It's hard, like really really hard. But, I love it. As hard as it is, it's equally as rewarding and awesome and completely fabulous.
One of the main things that we are working on right now is raising $30,000 to take the 40 local kids to camp with us. If you added up all the money I have ever had in my whole life it wouldn't even come close to $30,000. That number in and of itself blows. my. mind. But it's for the kids. So we'll do it. cough-wanttohelp?askmehowtodonatetoourcampusandhelpoutwithmakingthishappen-cough. That's where this CD thing comes in. So seriously, go to iTunes. Buy it. Love it. Live it. Donate.
Can I get a 'Blessings In Heaven'?


2 comments:
You need to get it on the Camp Kesem blog.
awesome
Post a Comment