Did you hear the news?
I, Lauren the great, am a college graduate.
I thought this day would never come. I'm sure my mother figured it absolutely never would. But here we are, 2 days of being a graduate of a real life university. I won't get into what this college grad has been doing for the last 48 hours. It may or may not include horrific amounts of hulu and sitting on the couch contemplating life and how to get back my dishes the ex roommates took. Not pretty. If we're being honest, I'll have you know I got up early this morning and hopped right in the shower and got ready to face the world like any good graduate would. Then I sat around wondering what to do with myself. Sigh... this is going to be a long adulthood...
The truth is, i'm feeling a little sentimental so I figured I would take you on a trip down college memory lane. Possibly a photo montage of the experience. Or not.
This is what I looked like 6 years ago (I feel like everytime I tell someone when I graduated from high school that I have to follow it up with "but I took two years off to work for The Big Guy" so they won't judge on how long i've been in college)
Embarrassing, right? I picked it because, well, it sums up quite nicely what I was like so many years ago. Starting with the dorm room curtains. When my mother and I took a tour of campus before the decision to transplant myself into the middle of nowhere was made she told me I should live in the dorms. Did I listen? Of course not. I was 18 and on top of the world. 4 days after I moved into my apartment I packed back up and moved into the dorms. My mother, she's always right. Now days I can't do much of anything without asking her what to do first. Anyway, back to the picture. I loved those dusty smelling dorm room curtains. Oh 18 year old Lauren, what a treat. Rockstars and suckers. That's how I lived my life. On the wild side. I have since switched from Rockstars to Diet Rockstars. And now only on a very rare occasion. And look at that hair. What. A. Mess. College Freshmen think they are something else. I was one tough cookie, right? *Wink wink nudge nudge*. In reality, that picture gives me a slight feeling of shame. Dear Lauren, let's praise the heavens you grew out of that stage. Yikes.
And this, my friends, is nearing the age of 24 Lauren.
I do my hair these days, and I enjoy letting it be blown around in the wind a little too. I try to go to bed at mostly decent hours so I don't look like a make-up smeared zombie carrying around Rockstars simply because it was cool. It also might have to do with my old age, I'm just not 18 anymore. My dear young friends, it is not cool to stay up all night. Remember that. And if you youngins are still listening: it's ok to take 8am classes. You will live. And you will be happy at 11am when you're done with class for the day and everyone else you know is just starting. You'll like it, trust me.
But seriously, in the last 6 years I have:
Changed my major about a dozen times including but not limited to: secondary math education, sociology, biology, nutrition, psychology, exercise science, the list could go on and on.
Had close to 25 roommates. Some for mere days, some for years on end.
Broke my heart more than once
Stood up for what I knew was right... mostly to institute teachers
Caught Bieber Fever
Worked hard for and earned 2 (1 prior and 1 pending) diplomas
Held every hand who's owner would let me
Late night dance parties galore
Had friends of boy status
Ruined my first serious friend of boy status relationship with the DTR from hell. Seriously, young friends, if I can share a bit more advice with you: Say a big fat no to the DTR.
Spent too many long nights writing papers I left until the last minute.
Learned how to BS my way out of anything
Took the biggest leap of faith. Ever.
Played Indians/Cowboys for thanksgiving dinner
Partook in some serious balcony style jam sessions
Took an 18 month sabatical to serve the Lord
Left my heart in Florida
Had the president of the university over for milk and cookies.
*he still remembers 5yrs later, this was right in the middle of our witty banter*
Asked said president for money, got thousands in return
Took the reigns of CKSUU when everyone else backed down
Flew half way across the country and stayed in a shwanky hotel on someone elses check. With a group of total strangers
Learned how to love like I didn't know was possible
Wrote a check out to a pseudo rock star
Lusted after one too many professors, but I'm not the only one
Made some of the very best friends a girl could ask for
Kept my very best friend from baby age, even after both of us changing like crazy
Got an actual tan
Fell in love, fell out of love, met my Captain Moroni. He just doesn't know it yet.
Let it all go
The list could go on and on. But most importantly...
I found myself. My real true, honest to goodness, self.
And it's a beautiful thing.
and after all that
I still didn't learn to spell
I still didn't learn to spell


1 comment:
congrats lauren!!! college was the best and i miss it all the time but real life is pretty bombtastic as well. you are a rockstar, my friend.
i think you fotrgot to mention you met someone with a hp camp- i still brag about that to people
Post a Comment