10/4/10

Mary Kay?

Speaking of having to get rid of things: on Saturday when we were at the Barry's we got seriously rebuked about the way that we were dressing. When the general authority came for the mission tour last month his wife told Sister Barry that we needed to step it up. So pretty much everything I own is no longer "appropriate" because it is (and I quote) "sloppy and faddish" But they are still good, cute clothes! So in the next couple weeks I’m going to send a box with some clothes home. Seriously, they are cute and modest. But "not conducive to our sacred calling". Ha. There was a serious emotional outburst in our apartment on Sunday morning when we were all trying to find something appropriate to wear to church. P.S. when the general authority came I totes was wearing a button up shirt and a jacket.

Wasn't conference bomb dot com? I thought so. We went to the Barry's on Saturday morning with all the sisters. It was fun to see all of them. We only stayed at the Barry’s for Saturday and then left so that we could bring our investigators on Sunday. None of ours that committed came. Lame. But one cute girl did come with a member of the branch. You’ll never believe how we met her.

On Friday night we went, get this, to a Mary Kay party! Hah. It was awesome. Besides the fact that I looked like a hooker with bright purple eye shadow. A girl in the branch invited us to come as the Mary Kay lady is a less active member of the branch. The girl who invited us, T, thought that the Mary Kay girl, B could use a little gospel interaction with her Mary Kay. So we went. T invited mostly girls from the branch but she also had a girl from one of her classes come. She was WAY sweet. And then she came to conference with T on Sunday. I think it was good for her to meet us in a non threatening social setting and then come to church, because she already knew us. She said she loved it and that she would be back next week. Rad to the max. Who knew that missionaries could go to Mary Kay parties? I suppose we are going to have to be that kind of inventive if we are going to get members to be involved with the work.

I must bid you farewell until next time. I hope you have a bomb dot com week. Remember who you are and what you stand for.

1 comment:

Rachel Doyle said...

Ha ha -- We had the barrette and lipstick rule on my mission. The sisters that were first there got sloppy so the mission president's wife instigated that rule - thankfully myself and the sisters that came with me didn't get sloppy so we survived. Anyhow - you just never know where you are going to meet your next investigators!