When you’re in the church the world becomes a much smaller place. Funny how that works. Last night we were at the church. We left our stuff on the couch in the foyer and went to the bathroom. When we came back there were some ladies sitting there from the stake relief society. I looked at one of them and she looked SO familiar. She looked at my tag and at me and asked where I was from. I told her and she said that she knew that she knew me, she just didn't remember but that she was from Orem. I didn't think she could be much older than me but we kept talking and she asked me a bunch of questions about who my family was and if I went to BYU and stuff and then she asked which elementary school I went to. I told her and she started laughing and said that she was an aid there and asked if I ever had Mr. M. I told her that I was in his class and she said that she was an aid that year in his class. Ha-ha, small world. I can't believe that she remembered me from so long ago. Apparently my 22 year old self still looks just like I did when I was 12. Anyway, it is always nice to talk to people who somehow have a connection.
I am trying to find many things to smile and be happy about. You know those moments when you just can't not smile? That’s what I’m looking for, and this past week I have been blessed with many. I love it.
My new companion is Sister H. She speaks Spanish so we are teaching Spanish speaking people. We... or her since I cannot speak Spanish Anyway, we have been working a little with the Spanish branch. I mostly just sit with a goofy grin on my face while she talks to them. Actually a lot of them speak English so it is good. We have a few only Spanish speaking investigators. President Newman told us once that our countenance rains a thunderous strong so I am trying to use that to my advantage with the Spanish people since I can't talk to them, I can at least sit there and look content and happy. Content and happy, that is my goal.
We are working with a man named Brother D. We have been working with him but not too much progress. Recently though, I don't know what happened, but he has skyrocketed in his conversion. He is in a care center right now because he has some wounds on his feet that aren't healing too good so he can't come to church but we go and see him a bunch. He is a funny old dude. The other day we went over and the son was there so we were able to talk to him about getting him to church and baptizing him. He said that once his feet heal up he will be able to go to church and that he thinks it will be soon. He said that the nurse said that his feet are healing up at an incredibly fast rate and she couldn't figure it out. Maybe it's the prayers. A man that works with his son got him a large print book of Mormon and ever since then he has just devoured the gospel. I think that he couldn't really hear us very well but now that he has that he can read on his own and have a better understanding about it. He even volunteered to say the closing prayer at our last lesson which is leaps and bounds of improvement. Anyway, I know you have a lot going on but if you could keep him in your prayers this week too that would be cool. He needs the blessings of baptism but he can't until he can get his feet healed up.
Elder Oaks was so good. So funny. He pretty much cracked jokes the whole time. We talked about revelation and such which was good. Then he started to tell us about his grandson who has been home from his mission for some time (like 2 years) and still isn't married. I forget how it went but he said something along the lines that men need to get married because (and I quote) "Sometimes men need adult supervision". It was pretty funny. I laughed. All the sisters around me laughed. I didn't hear much laughter from the elders but that is probably because they didn’t get it. I even shook the man’s hand. He held onto it for a good 15 seconds and stared straight into my soul. It was trippy. And really awesome. I hope he didn't see anything bad.
Oh yes, and then Mama C (H's grandma) got baptized. It was a long time coming. Like 20 years. It was a good baptism. The spirit was way strong. Like you could taste it strong. I love baptisms. I live for them. I can't wait to have some more.
Well, I think that's about it. I am glad that church is the real deal. I know it is. It brings me a lot of happiness in a not very happy world. I will be praying for you guys this week. I love you. I hope that everything goes good. You are the best. I LOVE YOU!!!
Love from the other side of heaven, Lauren
No comments:
Post a Comment