10/7/11

{so let's not make this complicated}

First things first: I forgot what 20 degrees feels like. You know, it's been awhile. Have no fear, I was rudely reminded this morning. Kill. Me. Now.

But seriously. The universe made up for just about 10 minutes ago. Do you know how long it's been since I have used the Pandora app on my trusty phone? Many many moons. I figured I should give it a little go just now so I turned it on and guess who started playing without my input? That's right, my boo Nelly. All is right when Nelly and I are together. Seriously now, the boi has some skillz and lookz that just nearly take my breaths away.

Now it is time that we talk of something of great importance that has been weighing on my mind for some time now:

The Unwritten Rules of The Nerd Dome Etiquette

For real. It is of great importance. At my institution of higher education we have a library. One of decent size (for a student enrollment rate lower than the first Baptist church in J-ville) with lots of books and computers and magazines and printers and tables to get your study on. Infact, there are four floors for said studying, all with lots of places to sit to choose from for all your needs. It really is a great place to be. Except late at night when everyone is there and it feels like a really smelly sauna. Then it's just gross, but we can look past it's flaws. Anyway, there unwritten rules of the library that all seem to be aware of, but apparently some need reminding. I won't go into detail about all of them, just ones that are of most importance. Mainly being the rule of placement.

Here is the thing: when you go to study the point is to get your business done and get out of there. If I wanted to be distracted by you I would probably stay home and FB stalk the heck out of you while watching ANTM. That is my prefered afternoon activity. Or taking a nap. But that's another story. I feel as though that is why there are so many places to rest your bottom end in the library, as to not be a distraction to one another. That is where those rules come in:

If you can help it there should be at least one table between you and the next person studying. Sitting one table over is understandable if the place is as packed as... well, nothing really get's too packed around here. Except the library during mid terms and finals week. And please, if you are going to sit at the next table, don't sit facing me. Clearly everyone down that row of tables is facing the same way, don't get messing up the pattern.

If you are in a cubicle there is absolutely NO reason why there should be someone next to you. And there is no reason why you sould sit right on down next to someone. Unless you're there together. In which case, get a table. Or a room, because they have those too.

And heaven forbid, if you absolutely have to sit at the same table do not sit next to me or right across from me. Sit across and one over. Right in front of me puts you in my stare space and right next to me looks like we're together. Unless you're super hot, then you can sit next to me all you want. You can even come home with me if you so desire.

You may think that I am some Picky Penny when it comes to the library. Au contraire my friend. Look around. I have learned from the young college appropriate age of 18 that these things are so. Everyone knows them and everyone participates in them. Don't try to go against the grain. It makes you look like a dummy. And it kind of makes me have a stress induced twitch. And let's be honest, if I'm in the library I don't need any more of those sort of things.

Take this for example:



I was going to blur his face to protect the innocent, but let's be honest. He is not innocent. Breaking the all the library rules: Sitting too close, facing me when it wasn't even reasonable to be doing so. He was kinda old and creepy and smelled weird. I may have made up the smelled weird part because most old creepy dudes do smell kinda funny. And to top it off he was reading some sort of smutty romance novel AND he answered his phone. TWICE. So against all good things in the world.

He was kind of old. I should probably give him the benefit of the doubt and just go with the thought that his old senile age made him unaware of how the library functions. Or not.

I think it's time for a dance party.

No comments: